Sunday, August 15, 2010

MAMIL MIA!

According to a recent BBC News item I have a new acronym - I am a Middle Aged Man In Lycra, a MAMIL if you will.

Having read the article I have to suggest that this acronym, on the face of it at least, sums me up to the letter. I am 40 years old, I ride a full carbon Bianchi Infinito dripping with Campag Chorus 11 speed, and Rapha (wool not lycra!) is my kit of choice. I head out for rides with a couple of like-minded mates early on a Sunday morning and I drool over the latest bits of kit. I even shave my legs - the first time I saw my hairy legs sticking out of a pair of lycra shorts I knew I had no choice.

However... It's not quite that clear cut. I have been cycling for a number of years and I come from a cycing family. My dad was a formidable time trialist for Liverpool Century through the 70s and 80s and as a kid most Sunday mornings were spent heading out in our old Cortina, with my dad's bike strapped to the roof rack, to watch him hammer the opposition, generally setting a new course record in the process. He often raced with, or against, Keith Boardman, whilst I meanwhile would hang out with Boardman junior, Chris. I like to picture us racing our trikes together, but it's hard to define the reality from my fantasy. Suffice to say, cycling has been in my blood for most of my life.

OK, so I may have lost my way a few times over the intervening period, but for the last few years I have come back into the fold, for good I hope. I now get out on my road bike three or four times a week at least, every week of the year regardless of the weather, and I also get out with the kids whenever I can. I admit that as my 40th birthday approached I decided to treat myself to that carbon dream machine. But, I can think of far worse self indulgences as you hit middle age (is 40 even considered middle aged any more?) and riding the bike as much as I do keeps me fit and slim - something not all 40 year old men can claim to be! My wife may have preferred my hirsute look, but I'm sure she would rather have me fit and slim than fat and hairy.

If this is my mid-life crisis, long may it last. And maybe one day I'll even bag myself that spiritual journey to the mountains and follow in my heroes' wheel tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment